Latvijas Arhitektūras muzejs
Rīga, Mazā Pils iela 19, LV-1050, tālr. 7220779
Open: Mon. 9.00-18.00; Tu., Wed., Th. 9.00.-17.00; Fri. 9.00-16.00; week-end - closed
Museum inhabits one of the Medieval dwelling houses in Old Riga., known as “Three brothers”.
Architecture was once considered an art for the ages. However, the postwar generation of modernist architects had to witness the demolition of the buildings they designed. Riga’s Sports Palace, once the biggest multifunctional public building in Riga (1968–1970), was torn down right before the eyes of its creator, the architect Oļģerts Krauklis. However, society’s perspective on values, although slowly, changes over time. Nowadays many of the buildings designed by Krauklis – ‘Oktobris’ cinema (1970–1978, currently the Curiosity centre ‘Zili brīnumi’) in Daugavpils, the Proletarian District Adminstrative building in Riga (1972–1980, currently Riga’s Vidzeme suburban executive directorate) are both contenders for the status of a state protected cultural monument. Conventionally Soviet period buildings are associated in the public mind with low quality standard type housing, however, Oļģerts Krauklis has designed a series of original multi-household dwellings. His workshop ‘Kraukļa ligzda’ (the Raven’s Nest) is located in one such building.